2.15.2016

A Vision of Leadership in Public Schools

Reminiscent of Leadership Pathways is this quote by Ernest Hemingway; “There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” Although this essay assignment was aimed at my last 2 years, I believe that true leadership requires a longer timeline.

As early as 5th grade, I became captain of the honor guard of Patrols. In middle school & high school I competed in the National Forensic League; I experienced triumph & defeat in tournament standard impromptu, extemporaneous, Lincoln Douglas, & cross-examination debate. I have fond memories being leadership in school-wide organizations. At the University of Texas, I was Music Director & Program Manager at the student radio station, KVRX. In 2000, the Austin Chronicle distinguished me as “Best Evening Radio Host of Austin.” Additionally, I served Texas as a Governor’s Fellow. I then moved to San Francisco & later NYC for my professional career as a Community Organizer & Account Executive. After six years in NYC, a subway ad inspired me to become a Teaching Fellow in Cohort 18. Since 2009 I have cultivated a passion for educating urban youth.

In 2012, I founded the Speech and Debate club at AFYW.  Meanwhile, maternity leave spawned a teaching program change that was instrumental to my academic evolution, but ultimately off the path of teacher leadership. With mixed emotions, yet a “stamp of approval” from administration, colleagues, & students, I transferred to UAMA. I am maintaining strong relationships at AFYW. I presented this essay question to my former speech squad. I believe this 11th grader’s words exemplify my community contributions:

You helped us come out of our shells. Showed us how to make our points both verbally AND physically. It improved the writing styles for a lot of people and showed us how to organize our ideas. Nancella, you've done plenty!!! You've shown us how to be speakers & inspire other people with our ideas. You literally coached us to put our ideas into actual words. That's really hard to do!!! And LOL, don't forget our regents prep!! The tricks & stuff you told us about. If that counts... By you just taking the job you did, you made an example of going after what you want. Even if it means a change of environment and required adjustments to it.”

Mission accomplished! Now there are new opportunities to build community. I have no doubts that my time as an ICT teacher made me a 100% better educator and leader. Timing and tenaciousness had me land in a community where I am needed! In January I became DOE mentor to History & ICT teachers at UAMA. I was appointed to the Instructional Committee and have been tapped for increased leadership in the coming years. I quickly became an integral member of my new school community. My future role as an administrator is the logical next step.

We live in an Information Age where we efficiently make virtual connections & provide less opportunity for face-to-face communications that which make us human. Social Media holds this generation’s gaze, but I aim to take part in an educational movement that is intertwined with the educational values more prominent in less technological times. Providing platforms for students to stand up & speak out is an investment in our future. Our children need to acquire more self-confidence & executive skills in order to compete in this world. Being an administrator is a vehicle where I may broadcast my vision of quality education. I am confident you’re looking for teachers like me… so here I am, and I’m ready!

No comments: