3.18.2018

Movie Review: Justice League (2017)

Warning...
SPOILER ALERT:

I didn’t get to see DC’s Justice League at a movie theatre for many reasons. I finally saw it and I found Justice League very disapointing! This is my review of why the first live-action Justice League movie did not live up to my childhood and adulthood expections...


The plot is flat and tiresome....there was way too much time spent on the death of Superman! Brooding, whining, and no connections in those sequences. No images of hope until the last few minutes of the very hyped up film. Actually the time investment on hopelessness is the opposite of the Justice League and what it stands for. I gotta go on... it’s riddled with vague character development. On that... I believe it was a poor choice that the central character was just Batman. Sadly, Batman is unlikeable and delivers cliche lines. But, that Mercedes is sick! In that one scene I liked when Barry Allen asked Bruce Wayne “What’s your superpower?” To which he responded with honest cocky delivery... “I’m rich!” Yes!!!! But, for the rest of the movie, Batman’s guilt and desire to make amends isn’t characteristic of who Batman is and this character is not written or directed as it should be. Ben is better than that, but he needs more to work with.


Then...there’s Wonder Woman who is supposed to embody female empowerment, but she does pretty much the opposite, what!?!?! It didn’t connect to her glorious movie at all. Why? I grew up wearing Wonder Woman underroos until they made me wear a braw. I looked up to her as I look up to Gal. Speaking of... Gal: I love you, kween! You are such a great choice for Wonder Woman. Love yourself, girl! They didn’t do your character justice. Pun intended.


The central plot is in building a team of reluctant superheros who can’t seem to do anything without the leadship of Superman?!?! That’s ridiculous and lame! Then, once this team comes together, the first order of business is to bring Superman back from the dead. Uhhh, necromancy, wuh huh, gross, just weird and wrong! Mission accomplished but he is not even Superman and then he only acts like Superman for 5 minutes which is of course just enough time to swoop in and save the day..... making every other hero look like an effin’ amateur. I can’t!


So... Let’s discuss the villain... The Big Bad antagonist just isn’t interesting, or fun to hate. He has no good lines and he isn’t scary. Well, actually, there were likeable moments of the film  about his past; the memory sequences showing Steppenwolf’s backstory are quite beautiful.


Other highlights...The Flash is funny and true to his character. He pulls it off and I want more of him. And... To a lesser extent Aquaman does hold my attention well, but he doesn’t have enough lines and his scenes don’t further the plot forward enough.


The Bottomline: I find it ironic that the central focus is team building but doesn’t make me believe in teamwork. In the end, the movie merely suggests a future organization which will be called the Justice League. I wanted to see the JLA in action. Not the meta teamwork angle of JLA, the team itself promoting “truth, Justice, and the American way.” We need superheros because they bring us hope. The movie demonstrated the void of hope many people feel today anyway and that’s why I wanted this to be a different movie altogether.


Ok, I didn’t just find it boring, I thought it sucked! (By the way, this review is coming from a person who didn’t hate the Daredevil movie with Ben & Jen.) I could go on but I just committed an act of overkill like the movie did with the “death” of Superman. 


P.S. I already bought first showing advance tickets to Avengers: Infinity War which comes out on April 27th 2018. It will go down in history as the most expensive movie ever made. Disney gave it a billion dollar budget. One billion dollars! It’s got everyone who matters from Marvel. I know it will live up to the hype!

No comments: