9.23.2015

On Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, it is a custom to ask for forgiveness for possible wrongdoings one may have caused. Nowadays we have lots of mediums in which to apologize: “If I have in any way hurt or offended any of you, I offer my apologies and seek your forgiveness.” Making amends is a method of wiping the slate clean. It's more complicated than that of course. The end goal is to be inscribed within the Book of Life; to have a good new year. This year, it occurs to me, what about the inverse?! I admit that I have wronged others, but I myself have been wronged and those offenders aren't exactly coming to me and asking me for forgiveness! As part of my atonement, shouldn't I wipe the slate clean of my anger, hurt and resentment towards those who have caused me pain? How do you forgive someone who isn't sorry? I ask for forgiveness, but I must give forgiveness as well. In my quest for deeper atonement, I have found this on Chabbad.org: “The Baal Shem Tov taught that if someone hurts you, this hurt was meant to happen to you. Yes, the agent of your misfortune has an account to settle with G‑d. And you could sue for damages as well. Nevertheless, be like Joseph. Accept that for some reason this wound had your name on it, and it was for your own good. Then you can shed the grudge and move on.” On that note… a long time ago I ceased to believe that “things happen for a reason.” I believe that things happen and then you find a reason. So, in reference to those who have hurt me: I forgive you (I will try my hardest) and I thank you for teaching me something I have not yet learned. I will take that knowledge and write a new chapter in my book of life. #forgiveness #atonement #yomkippur

No comments: