5.12.2012

[o o]----[Mix-Tape]-[Memory Lane]----[o o] [P.1]




Sorry Busy Take Care, oh, how I have let you down. I need to earn your love again. So, let me relay a Cliff’s Notes of my life since I dropped off. I owe you that, you neglected little blog, you.

I used to have “Art Night” and uninterrupted sleep at night. The lack of those is not just because of Filippo, my 9 and ½ month son. My 17 year old cat, Tivo, wakes us up a lot. He is very howly at night. Must be the “call o’ the wild”

Anyway, here’ my excuses for no blog love…………... In the summer of 2009, I became a New York City Teaching Fellow and started Grad School. And it was a little over a year ago, I got married, and we had a baby boy. All big life changes from being a divorced girl alone in the city. So, that’s the truth, Sorry Busy Take Care. I have neglected you and you deserve better than that for sure!

It’s been several years since what I published was not a “cut & paste” of a grad school paper or a lesson. I can now claim I earned a Master of Science degree in Education from LIU. Not too shabby, not too shabby. I was pregnant for last 8.5 months of the program. I literally gave birth during my last class. Well, I wasn’t in the class and Filippo wasn’t supposed to be born that day. He was 6 weeks earlier than his due date and 3 weeks earlier than the plan. I was bed-ridden; a mobility impaired human.

The whole Fellows training took 2.5 years solid! And although it was as hectic as hell, I found love again. Heaven sent was Anthony the end of my first year as a teacher in 2009-2010. Filippo was born in the hottest part of the summer 2011. I still couldn’t walk for the first month or so of being a Mommy. I recovered and stayed on maternity leave till the week of Thanksgiving. I am having a shitty year in the classroom. It’s effin’ dreadful!!! What craziness teaching is, don’t get me started on that.

Now that we are all caught up and I feel completely accountable to the blog… Let’s move on to the future with a little help from the past.

You may remember a time when the world made recordings on actual cassette tapes?!?! [see above] [o o] Speaking of, I just fished my Sony Walkman out and it still works after like 25 years. I plugged it into the receiver… and it was very good. It’s a strange thing to go back to waiting to cue up the music. And it is a strange feeling to go back in time. It takes so long to rewind to the beginning of a tape, and you never know where you will land when you press stop. So worth the waiting!

I’m talking 20+ years of tapes and most of them I made. This box of my tapes has been returned to me like a long lost love..

Today’s music machines are so immediate and efficient. So, I guess this is the future ;) Everything is On Demand! It’s all just a click away... Speaking of clicking away, I feel guilty I haven’t blogged as a personal expression in sooooooo long! But, I had a baby boy and he rules! He rules everything and he is adorable!

Today!!!!!!!! I can feel it today... My luck is changing!!!!!! I received my insanely heavy box of mix-tapes and radio shows. My dad Fed Ex’d the entire tape collection just as I packed it up in (I think 2004) …. !!!!;!!!!;!!!!.... Thank you, Daddy! You came through for me, finally ;) No really, no disrespect… I called him to thank him immediately! What I now possess is the essential Nancella Collection and it is all on audio cassette. PROJECT ….! ! ! ! . ! ! ! ! . ! ! ! !....

“Today was a good day” by Ice Cube. Big YAY!

As I am listening to tapes and typing Memories come flooding through. So, I found blogosphere inspiration! I have a new theme / project / blog topic. Wait for it, wait for it…………………. A Mix-tape [o o] Memory Blog where I will simultaneously transfer cassette tapes to MP3 as I listen to it and blog about the tape and other random thoughts and stories.

Ahhhh!! I’m super jazzed about this. As I transfer my old mix tapes, I plan to post them. The MP3s will be lo-fi but they will be preserved and sharable unlike the mix-tapes of my youth ever were!

Listening to the music ..../..../....//....VV....\/....//....\/.... Can you see is 4:4 time?

Yay, Doesn’t sharing feel so good. There was a time when I had fans, not twitter followers. The inspiration for this new and improved blog is pre-social media. My tapes are from before the times of status updates. I used to have fans. I used to have more friends. It’s impossible not to miss both.

So, I have a new mission and it will take a long time because I’ve got 100’s of tapes to write about and use as prompts for my think pieces! Sorry Busy Take Care, I have to redirect. I have felt an art void. The music and the writing has been missing from my life for a while! But, It is back; I am back!

Note: I didn’t check my facebook at any time as I wrote this. But I’m about to post it. It feels good to share! I know it is long, I had a lot to kick things off with!

No comments: